At Heald Place, we have a specialist ECO teacher who works with classes across the school on a variety of exciting projects.
Green Flag Award
We have been awarded a number of recognised ECO awards, such as the Green Flag Award, and are working towards more! The flag is now hanging proudly in the downstairs hall.
Our feedback when we achieved Green Flag status was very positive and the eco work going on in our school was highly praised. This is the comment we received from our assessor.
'Well done Heald Place Primary School! Everything was a delight and a joy to see. The pupils positive energy, big smiles and bubbling enthusiasm (I felt like a superstar they were so excited to meet me and tell me about it all) were contagious and I am still on a happy high following my visit (and as a result monitoring and tightening my own Eco actions!). The parental involvement, the covering of all Eco-Schools areas and the school's evident love and compassion of our world were heartwarming and inspiring.'
ECO Action Plan
We have an ECO Action Plan created by the School Council and The Eco Committee, who evaluated our School on all 9 ECO topics. The main targets are to:
- Make sure all taps are turned off to save water.
- Run a water saving campaign.
- Make children more aware of recycling. Especially plastic pollution.
- Encourage children to walk or ride their bikes to school.
- Encourage more energy saving
- Make sure that all lights and computers are turned off to save energy.
- Make sure all windows are closed to ensure that our energy is not being lost.
- Make sure our school has a litter policy.
- Learn more about the world.
- Work more with the community on raising awareness of poverty and homelessness.
Heald Place Eco Code
- Helping pupils to look after our environment is what we’re about, so come on let’s hear a shout!
- Electricity we need to save, when you leave the class, turn the lights out.
- Animals should be looked after from the heart, and this is just the start!
- Litter must be picked up every day – all the pupils do our part.
- Dumping plastic on our ground will turn our world upside down.
- Plastic we should all recycle - pens and batteries have a special place.
- Lights we switch off as we leave each teaching space.
- Ambassadors check this happens all over the school.
- Caring for our world is really cool!
- Everyone together looking after Heald Place!
By Heald Place Green Ambassadors and Pupil Leaders.
Children have been elected as 'Energy Enforcers' with a remit to conduct weekly spot checks in classrooms to ensure that lights and electrical appliances are being switched off when not in use. The Energy Enforcers have decided that:
- Classes earn 25 points if all the lights are off and 12 points if just half the lights are off.
- Classes earn 25 points if the all the computers are off/in standby and 12 points if half the class computers are off/in standby.
- Classes earn 25 points if all the windows are closed and energy is not being lost through open windows.
Here are the Energy Enforcers
The Energy Enforcers have also been checking to see if the listening stations have been switched off!
The class earning the most points at inspection is awarded a certificate and gets to keep the Energy Enforcers class trophy for the week!
Our Energy Enforcers have also come up with some 'Top Energy Saving Tips' for parents and carers! These are:
- Turn off all lights when not in the room
- Close windows and doors to keep energy inside
- Turn off all electrical items when not in use
- Don't leave taps running!
- Recycle all glass and plastic bottles
- Recycle all paper and cardboard
Click here to view the Energy Enforcers checklist for school.
Children at Heald Place have come up with their own litter policy and would like everybody to join them in following the actions below to help make our school and the local area a cleaner and tidier place.
- At Heald Place we do not drop litter.
- At Heald Place we do not throw litter into bushes or onto flower beds.
- At Heald Place, if we see litter on the floor, we pick it up and put it in the bin.
- At Heald Place we always put our litter in the bin.
- At Heald Place we know that if we cannot find a bin, then we always place our rubbish in our pockets until we find one.
- At Heald Place we keep the environment tidy.
We have a Paper Recycling System in school. A large Enterprise recycler can be found in the bin area outside.